Built in 1873, this building on 4th Street in Manhattan has a long history of serving as home to many art groups, including the current owner La Mama. After several previous additions and alterations, the building is in need of a complete overhaul and stabilization, followed by a gut renovation of the interiors with a new rear extension on the 3rd and 4th floors. Some of the original floor structure will be salvaged and reincorporated into the building, while other floors will be set at new elevations to better serve as a performance space.
A steel internal skeletal structure, sitting on new foundations, will brace the historically reinforced walls as well as carry the new theatrical grid for the club. New electrical service, fire sprinkler, mechanical, plumbing, and elevator will be incorporated into the renovated structure. AV, stage lighting, theatrical rigging and dimming systems will give the theater ultimate performance flexibility. Above the club will be another acoustically isolated performance space where rehearsals can take place while the club is putting on a performance.
Architectural finishes include restored brick walls, assortment of acoustical wall panels, and decorative metal stair enclosed in glass. The building is a landmark structure, therefore the exterior will be completely restored to its original luster, including repointing brick, replacing missing cast iron components, historic wood windows, and new cornice.